Saturday, December 16, 2006

Sweater Vest Log Entry 1

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Today I cast on the stitches for the Purple Aran Sweater Vest. I am giving myself one month between classes to work on the vest. I am using cheap Red Heart Super Saver and my trusty size 8 circs from AC Moore. I wish I could have gotten wool for the vest but I just can’t afford it right now. My hope is after I do the vest love it so much that I force myself to buy the proper yarn.

The pattern is from The Complete Book of Traditional Aran Knitting by Shelagh Hollingworth written in 1982. Some of the photos are so awesome. If you see the book check out the dude on page 68, big busy beard, huge binoculars and husky Aran sweater what could be better? I love the pattern and am getting into cables. I really can understand how someone can spend their entire knitting life working in a specific style. Some people only knit lace some only knit Fair Isle. I could see myself making cables for a long time. So many styles and variants one can never get bored.

I am working the back of the vest starting with my ribbing. I practiced my cables. This pattern uses the ring and the braided cable. It also uses a mock cable twist that is neat to work.

What I learned today:
When it says knit all the knits and purl all the purls can be confusing but if you remember that the knits are the v’s and the purls are the bars so you can tell them apart.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

How about a classy comment?